Helmut Polensky built one of the first post war cars for Formula 2, the Monopol. When 500cc racing became international in 1950 he built a new car to the Formula, the Monopoletta which featured fairings over the suspension wishbones and resembled the pre-war Auto Unions. Suspension was FIAT derived with Rudge type wheels and a BMW flat twin engine was specified with twin Amal carburettors driving a BMW gearbox. The driver sat well forward and the steering wheel was detachable due to the narrow cockpit. The tubular chassis had the panels directly applied to create a semi stressed body. Three cars were constructed, Helmut drove one himself, Bill Lucas and Walter Schlüter drove the other two. Walter Schlüter won the Grand Prix support race at the Nürburgring in August beating several Coopers in the process.
Helmut Polensky later drove for the works Porsche team, here he is shown, to the left of Paul Frere at Le Mans in 1954.
The three had a very active first year:
But even before the end of the year, at least one car had moved on:
So for the first West German Championship, Walter Schlüter took third and Helmut fifth.. After this, William Lucas retired and Helmut moved. One car passed to Karl Schermer.
| || |
Photos from the Bremen Classic show by Lothar Mildebrath.