Jack Moor was an accomplished special builder who began building small engined, light weight cars in 1923, largely based on GN mechanicals, for use in hillclimbs, these cars usually being referred to as "Shelsley Specials". In fact, the first Wasp was a motorcycle combination with the yellow and black colours on the tank and sidecar that would become his trademark. He subsequently built two GN based specials, the first with Vitesse engine which he ran in various forms until wrecking the car against a telegraph pole after it came off the tow bar en route to Shelsley. The second began life with the 1,100 cc Akela engine which was later modified with Norton cylinder heads. This proved very powerful and Jack spent the rest of the decade upgrading the engine to deal with this. Post war, he upgraded the chassis with extensive boxing to improve rigidity and switched to Morgan type sliding pillar front suspension
The fourth Wasp was built to 500 regulations and derived from the later Freikaiserwagen 500 of David Fry. In its original form, it used an Iota chassis and a Cross rotary valve engine and so was somewhat short of power. Jack acquired the car in late 1948 and he immediately began development by transplanting a Norton engine and switching to an wishbone suspension setup. For the next three years, Wasp was the most competitive non production car with numerous podiums to its credit. Jack continued to use this Wasp as late as 1955 at which point he acquired a Cooper Mk VIII, which was duly painted in Wasp colours.
If you have any more information on Jack or the Wasp, please let us know.