John Higham

John Higham

John Higham was born in Yorkshire in May 1918. He trained as an electrical engineer before joining the army for the duration. He was selected for the Commandos and wounded three times. John began competitive motorsport in speedway before switching to cars with a JP-JAP in 1952. With this he managed a second in his heat at Brough on 12th April and third in the heats of the Royal Scottish Trophy on the 26th as well as some sports car racing.

John continued with the JP for 1953, failing to finish at Brough on 3rd April then taking a second in the Easter 20 heat but failing in the final at Brands Hatch. After this, John purchased the prototype Cooper Mk VI from John Cooper, though still with a JAP engine. He took a third in the heats at Silverstone on 27th June, crashed at Crystal Palace and failed to finish at Snetterton in July, losing a wheel in the later, then finally achieved some success at Cadwell Park in September with a third in the scratch race and fourth in the handicap.

John changed cars again for 1954, this time to a Kieft, though now with Norton power. At Brough on 17th April, he won his heat but failed in the final then, at Easter Brands Hatch, a fourth in the open challenge heat. At the Aintree Opening meeting on 29th May John took tenth then a third in his heat, third in the final and another third in the handicap race at Cadwell Park on 7th June. An outright win followed at Oulton Park then a sixth at Davidstow and a third to Ken Tyrrell at Silverstone on 14th August and a fifth in the Commander Yorke Trophy on the 21st then another again to Scott Bloor on 18th September. Enough for Higham to take the Autosport Trophy for the year.

1955 saw yet another change of car, to a Cooper Mk VIII, he took a third in the senior heats at Brands on 11th April then a second to Charlie Headland at Oulton Park on the 30th, and a DNF in the 50 mile race at Silverstone. At the same circuit on 14th May, John makes a one off appearance in a Martin to take a second behind Scott Bloor but ahead of Henry Taylor then a third at Davidstow on the 31st to Tyrrell and Eric Brandon. Brands Hatch on 12th June brought a third in the second final and Silverstone on the 25th, a second in the heats and he took a third at Oliver's Mount but failed to finish the final. John took second overall in the Clubman's Championship.

In September at Silverstone, Higham took an outright win, over Bill Grose but then failed to finish on the 17th and again at Oulton Park for the Gold Cup.

After this, John appears to have moved on to sports car racing in a Lotus Mk VIII and XI.

 Please get in touch if you know more.