Go back to the Marques and Men PageCooper Mk VII (T26/T27)

Following the Mk VI, the Mk VII (T26) was introduced for 1953 with only minor updates. Armstrong dampers replaced Newton and Bennett, the steering was lowered and some minor cosmetic changes were made but that was it. As was usual practice, a long chassis version, (T27) was offered.

Cooper Mk VII brochure1.jpeg (25402 bytes)The car did not represent sufficient development allowing Don Parker in his Parker Kieft to take the National Formula 3 Championship and Cooper also saw significant competition from Ray Martin's cars and the Staride. At the end of 1953, a streamlined car (T28), using a Francis Beart Norton engine, was driven John Cooper himself to 14 new records at MontlhéryFrancis Beart's car proved to be more significant in terms of future direction. Francis was supported by the Cooper works to the extent that they authorised an official Cooper Mk number for the car, the Mk VIIa.

Eric Brandon in a works Mk VII at Crystal Palace in 1953.

Brandon in Mk VII Crystal Palace.jpg (27154 bytes)

A great shot of Les Stone's Mk VII at Wiscombe Park in 1962. Photo courtesy Graeme Noonan

Cooper Cars Official Yearbook for 1953

Go to 500 Owners Home Page