Joining the Fun

Maybe you've seen us at Goodwood or a club meeting and wondered if you could do it? Well you can!

500cc Formula 3 racing and hill climbing is one of the less expensive forms of historic motorsport and our members come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Most owners maintain their own cars which is quite possible with normal tools and mechanical aptitude, you certainly don't need a team of professionals to get you to the starting grid.

Perhaps you're considering restoring a car? The 500 Owners Association is the ideal place to find out how it's done and who are the people who can help you.

So this is what you do.....

Firstly, join the Club. Its the best way to meet the people who've done it and can help you. Their advice and practical support will save you far more than the fee as well as helping to build your confidence. Our members are hands on people who will go out of their way to get a competitors car to the grid.

Fill in a 2024 membership form or contact the Membership Secretary

Subscriptions are £40-00 and run from January 1st to December 31st.

Use your own online banking to transfer the money, as follows:
Bank: HSBC
Recipient: The 500 Owners Association
Sort Code: 40.43.54
Account Number: 91003380
IBAN: GB64MIDL40435491003380

Or make cheques payable to "500 Owners Association Ltd"

Club members often know about cars and parts which are not advertised but are available or can help you confirm the history of the car you're interested in and whether its in regular use. The Club operates a registration scheme to document 500cc Formula 3 cars. Ask if the car you're looking at is registered and check with the Club Registrar.

The next thing you need to decide is whether to do hills and Sprints or circuit racing, or even mix the two. Either way, its a big step up from non competitive events, such as track days. A great way to decide, and learn, is to come along to a race or hill climb, the schedules are posted our web site. Contact the appropriate Secretary who will introduce you. You'll get an opportunity to see how the day runs, what's involved in preparing and running the cars and may get a chance to help out in the Assembly Area with some pushing. You will learn more in a day with us than any text book can teach you.

Whichever route you choose, you'll need a Competition Licence from the Motor Sports Association. For circuit racing, you will have to do an ARDS (Association of Racing Drivers Schools) test which takes half a day and you'll need a basic medical. Details are on the MSA web site and in their Go Racing Pack. None of this is too difficult and can be fun but it takes time, so plan this in advance. The arrival of your first Competition Licence is a moment to treasure.

Choosing a Car

There is quite a range of cars to choose from and you can find out more in the Marques Section. Broadly speaking, they can be broken down into production cars such as Cooper, Kieft and JBS and specials. Production cars tend to proliferate but don't be put off specials, many were well constructed and very competitive, plus you're more likely to be invited to high profile events, if you have something a little different. Inevitably they will have a higher proportion of bespoke parts than a production car but most of the individual components will be "off the shelf" from a variety of '40 and '50s road cars. In England, we're particularly fortunate in having a whole industry dedicated to historic cars and parts and everything can be bought or made. The internet helps you to find these specialists wherever you're based. 500 Owners Association members can advise you on parts and suppliers and can help with fabrication of bespoke components.

And, don't forget to check the "Wanted/For Sale" page of this website, as there are usually several cars for sale at any given time.

In accordance with the Company's Memorandum of Association every Member of the Club undertakes to contribute to the assets of the Club in the event of its being wound up while he/she is a member, or within a year afterwards, for the payment of the debts and liabilities of the Club contracted before he/she ceases to be a Member, and the costs, charges and expenses of the winding up, and for the adjustments of rights of the contributors amongst themselves, each amount as may be required, not exceeding one pound Sterling.