Alan Charles Rippon, born 1912, came from Chelmsford in Essex and began racing in 1949 in his own Rippon Special (sometimes referred to as the AR Special or its original name ASA), which was Triumph powered and had Fiat derived suspension, without significant success; Silverstone 9th July 1949, DNF and Silverstone 3rd September 1949, DNF
For 1950 he switched to a Cooper, probably Ken Watkins' Mk III JAP and by April 1950, the special was being advertised in Iota. Partly as a result, the year saw some improvement:
Alan continued with the JAP powered Cooper into 1951 and also drove an MG at Le Mans in June '51, partnering George Phillips but they did not finish:
For 1952, Alan formed Ecurie Britannique with John Coombs driving Cooper Mk VIs with Norton power to take in a Continental tour:
As a result, Alan was awarded a Plaque by the Half-Litre Club at the end of the year. He seems to have faded from the 500 scene thereafter but was still racing in 1955 and drove the Kieft Climax at Dundrod.