Colin Strang

Colin Strang

Colin Strang was born in New Zealand and was sent to England for his education after which he returned to his native North Island, where he took up hill climbs and grass tracking on motorcycles. He returned to England permanently in 1934 and set up Strang Motors in Harrow.

Strang raced an Austin 7 and a Bugatti Type 37 prior to the war but without noted success. During the war, Colin served in the Royal Army Service Corps in Ceylon, after escaping from Singapore.

Colin was one of the first to present a complete car having built his Strang 500 in just four months, having received some assistance from Noel Shorrock. As was common at the time, he also gave assistance to fellow North Londoner, Frank Bacon in the construction of his special.

Colin won at Prescott in May 1946 and then won the next six events: Shelsley in June, Prescott in July and August, Bo'ness in September, Prescott again and Crofton Hacket, an incredibly successful start. For 1947, he appeared at the "White Hart" meeting then won at Prescott in May and Shelsley in June before finally being beaten by Eric Brandon's Cooper Prototype at Prescott the following day. The Strang failed to finish, as did most of the 500s, at the Gransden Lodge race meeting on 13th July but turned the tables on Eric on the 20th, back at Prescott. At Shelsley, in September, Colin had to give best to both of the Cooper boys. By 1948, the competition was getting stiffer, Colin finished second, to Clive Lones, at Prescott in May, still beating the new Cooper Mk IIs of Moss and "Curly" Dryden. Second again at Shelsley on 12th June and third at Prescott the following day. July Prescott brought a second to Moss, followed by a third at the Great Auclum sprint but at the Boscombe Speed Trials on 7th August, Colin had to be content with fourth. He took revenge on Stirling back at Prescott in September with a second to Brandon and another second at Shelsley on the 25th. The Strang failed to finish the Grand Prix race at Silverstone on 2nd October and that was the end of the 1948 season

Colin continued to through the  '49 but now had to content himself with placings as more and more quicker cars appeared, although he achieved one final win at Bo'ness in June '49 followed by a second at Prescott Hill in September. Inevitably, by the end of 1949, his car became outclassed and, after one race in a Kieft, Colin left motor sport.