John was born in Shillingford in 1917. He raced regularly during the early period, though without notable success but is best known for his work for the 500 Club. He was co-opted to the job of Secretary and only managed to escape when Ken Gregory took over in 1950.
John was then appointed Chairman of the Half-Litre Club. He also became the regular Clerk of the Course at Brands Hatch, the Club's home track..