Walter Schlüter, born 1911, was a fuel wholesaler (wood and coal) from Velbert in the Ruhr. He took up racing during the 1930s, notably in a special bodied BMW 328 and was instrumental in re-establishing AvD, Automobilclub von Deutschland after the war. Walter raced a Monopoletta during the 1950 season. He failed to finish the Nürburgring race on the 11th June as did the other sister cars of Helmut Polensky and Bill Lucas. At Freiburg on the 6th of August he managed a fifth place with Polensky winning, then third at Solitude a week later and then his moment of triumph, a win at the German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring on the 20th August. This gave him third overall in the West German Championship for 1950.
Thereafter, and now aged forty, Walter switched to rallying, co-driving Polensky to the European championship in 1953 then driving himself to the championship in '54 driving for DKW.
Walter Schlüter passes away in November 1997
Our thanks to Lothar Mildebrath & Dirk Anthes